Check this page for updates and information on WCTEL regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
Taking Steps to Protect the Health and Safety of Our Customers and Employees
March 17, 2020
Dear West Carolina Customer,
On behalf of the entire WCTEL team, I am reaching out to assure you that the safety and well-being of our customers and our employees remain our highest priority, along with the responsibility to keep you connected.
The safety of our customers and employees is always our top priority. We have implemented the following practices:
Precautions we’ve taken to help keep our employees healthy:
- Currently, we have no confirmed cases of COVID-19 among our workforce.
- We have canceled all domestic business travel.
- We are practicing social distancing. All meetings with outside vendors and business partners or that involve large groups have been canceled or are now conducted remotely as conference calls or video conferences.
- We have distributed hundreds of bottles of hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes and have begun regularly disinfecting and deep cleaning our offices.
- Internal communications have been created to keep our employees updated on the latest news of the virus, keep them informed on how to prevent the spread of the illness and answer their questions.
- We have shared specific instructions with our employees on the importance of washing their hands and staying home if they feel sick.
As an additional step to ensure the safety of our customers and employees, we will be closing our lobbies in all locations to walk-in traffic. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause, but for the safety of everyone, we felt it was necessary.
We have been in contact with the Schools in our service area regarding this matter. In preparation for the schools closing, WCTEL has identified locations to provide free WiFi hotspots. These hotspots will enable students that do not otherwise have access to a broadband connection to complete schoolwork in an outdoor environment or from the safety of their family vehicles. The equipment has been ordered and locations have been secured. Once we complete installation, we will notify everyone.
In order to support e-learning for students while they are home during this State of emergency, we have implemented the following promotion:
- New customers that have a student (K-12 or College) in the home or work-from-home and do not have internet service, WCTEL will provide FREE installation and 60 days FREE service.
- WCTEL will offer a FREE 60 day internet upgrade for existing customers that have a student (K-12 or College) in the home or work-from-home and need to upgrade their broadband service.
Also, I want to remind our customers of the various methods we have in place to interact with us online and over the phone. All customers have access to their accounts through the Smarthub customer portal at http://wctel.smarthub.coop, where you can review and manage your account and make online payments. Another payment option is our Secure Pay-by-Phone service that can be reached at 888-813-2340. You can also reach our Customer Service team at 864-446-2111; we are always happy to assist. Additionally, you can contact our 24/7 Technical Support line at 864-446-3111 to help resolve technical issues you may be experiencing.
Thank you for remaining a loyal customer. We will keep you updated through email and social media of any changes during this fluid situation and look forward to continuing to meet your connectivity needs.
Jeff T. Wilson